Class of 1960

Class of 1960

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Martha (Marti) Lane


Here is a little bit about my last 50 years. :)


When I went to college -- Whitworth University, in Spokane -- I got my nickname, Marti. That's what most people call me now.
I loved college, especially sports, but still did not know for sure what I should do, career-wise.


After college, I worked for Goodwill Industries for a year, in Public Relations. Then I went to grad school at Northwestern University and got an MS in magazine journalism. I really enjoyed magazine writing, which I did for 7 years in Illinois. One article I wrote was about illiteracy -- people not being able to read and write. Well, that article convinced me that I was called to work in the field of adult literacy, which I have been doing ever since. I worked for Lutherans, Methodists, and many libraries, especially in California.


In about 1980, I started working with computers and eventualy got a Master's degree in Computer-Based Learning & Training from Nova University in FL. I love computers!


I stopped working fulltime a couple of years ago, but continue writing lessons for adults learning English as a new language for the Pinellas County, FL schools. If you're curious, you can see some of my work at http://4pinellas.info


I've had some wonderful vacations with wonderful friends, especially hiking and canoeing trips. One of my favorites was hiking to the top of Mt. Whitney to celebrate my 40th birthday. Hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back was pretty awesome, too.


My literacy work has taken me to live and work in many states and countries. Now I live in North Carolina, just 4 miles from Tennessee and about 10 miles from Georgia. I'm finally back in a rural area and have never been happier (really got tired of city living). I especially love gardening and taking care of a 9-acre forest. I thank God that I have been able to live so long and do so many things. But I'm not done, yet! God willing, I'd like to live to be at least 114.

I am REALLY looking forward to coming to the reunion!
Marti

No comments:

Post a Comment